Who is Barbara Pretorius, the Physiotherapist?
I was born in Johannesburg, South Africa in 1966, where I grew up in a Christian, middle-class, suburban home. I’d always wanted to do a job where I could help people and physiotherapy gave me the opportunity to do just that.
I am passionate about being able to help my patients by relieving pain and discomfort and enjoy encouraging them to take care of themselves. I love massaging my patients back to health.
I am a wife to Hannes, a mother, a grandmother and a mother-in-law too.
In July 2004 I relocated to Singapore where I took a sabbatical, enjoying my surrounds in Asia, whilst reading, writing, beading and sewing. I have a love for books!
I returned to South Africa in 2006 and settled by the coast in order to live close to the sea and far away from the city pollution and it was then that I started my own physiotherapy practice. From humble beginnings, in a small room with one bed, a hot pack and an ultrasound machine, growing into a fully-fledged practice with two treatment rooms, a reception area with a receptionist and an accounting system. I moved into the bigger premises where I am now in September 2009
A summary of my CV:Education
- 1984 - Hoer Volkskool, Heidelberg: Matric
- 1985 - South-African Army, George: One Year Service
- 1989 - University of the Orange Free State: Bachelor of Science, Physiotherapy
- 1996 - OMT certificate
- 2015 - Pain certificate
- the orthopedic manipulative group
- the dry needling group
- the pain management group
- Health Professionals Council of South-Africa, Reg. No. PT 0043842
- South African Society of Physiotherapy, Reg. No. MPRE084
- Board of Healthcare Funders, Practice No. 0720000278521
- Jan 1990–Jun 1990: Dr. Livingstone Hospital, Port Elizabeth - Treating adult orthopedic, medical and ICU patients and pediatric lung conditions
- Jul 1990–Aug 1991: Rene’ Geldenhuys Physiotherapists, Alberton - Treating adult orthopedic, medical and ICU patients and pediatric lung conditions in a private clinic. Orthopedic and lung patients were also treated in the practice.
- Sep 1991–Jun 2004: ARWYP Clinic, Kempton Park - Treating patients in the ICU (rehabilitated CABG), pre-and-post surgery and medical units with orthopedic, trauma, chronic pain and pediatric lung conditions. At the outpatient clinic I treated orthopedic patients including neck and back pre-and-post-op patients as well as substantial work with chronic pain and post trauma patients and various chest conditions.
- Apr 2006– Aug 2007: Bodyworks Studio Physiotherapist and Sport Clinic, Singapore - Treating sport injuries and orthopedic patients, gaining myofascial release knowledge and experience.
- Sep 2007- Present: Barbara Pretorius Physiotherapy, Knysna